Saturday 14 January 2017

Jasmine Jam and Indonesian National Flowers

My friend Cindy posted a fancy jam in her facebook.
It's jasmine's  from Laduree, 
the renowned maker of French macaroons 
Cindy's toast, spread with jasmine jam, really intrigues me
I am not curious about the flavor
It's the smell that excites my interest

There are many varieties of Jasmine flowers
But Jasminum sambac is the only one that is edible
Jasminum sambac or Melati Putih, in Indonesian language


When I grew up, there was a big jasmine bush in our garden
Jasmine flowers smell heavenly when they in bloom
My Oma handpicked them and put the jasmine petals 
in a small silver dish to freshen her bedroom

Revalina Temat, an Indonesian actress, using Jasmine flowers as hair decoration
 
Jasmine flowers are small, white and simple
Indonesian brides who wear traditional wedding dress
use fresh jasmine flowers as hair decorations
They are also used in traditional medicine 
and ritual ceremonies , as well as decoration

Bunga Melati are common in Indonesia
The bushes can easily grow almost everywhere
No wonder Jasminum sambac is Indonesian national flower 
or Puspa Bangsa

I still remember Cindy's fancy jam 
and her regular toast that looks sophisticated 
slathered in jasmine jam

I wonder if the jasmine petals inside her jam 

were from Indonesia...Maybe...
If that was so that means they have traveled far away 
from Indonesia to French and to Chicago
the fragrance still preserved in the yummy sweetness 
of pectin and sugar







1 comment:

  1. i have read your post. and i found it very useful.. please visit my site:- http://www.tripne.com/2018/08/national-flower-of-indonesia.html

    ReplyDelete